Sunday, April 27, 2008

April 27, 2008

Not a lot going on lately. I went to the doctor last Monday for my regular three-month exam, and everything was good. I'm feeling a little down lately, not sure why, but I did ask for recommendations from the doctor about therapists/counselors. I haven't heard back yet, but I'm going to call tomorrow and see if they've gotten any names for me.

I went book shopping today. Just what I needed - more books. And I ordered a couple that will be here this week. Sigh. I'll never catch up on my reading.

So this is what I bought:
Ordered: Neil Gaiman's American Gods and Terry Pratchett's The Color of Magic
At Half Price Books: Dave Barry's Tricky Business; Carole Nelson Douglas' Cat in a Diamond Dazzle (signed), Cat in a Kiwi Con (signed), and Irene at Large; Harry Kemelman's Someday the Rabbi Will Leave and Wednesday the Rabbi Got Wet; and somehow, inexplicably, a second copy of Dorothy Gilman's Mrs. Pollifax, Innocent Tourist - which I just read a few weeks ago. How did I do that? And I had a list of the ones I had - why did I not notice that? Oh, well, mom gets her own copy now, I guess.
At B&N: Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility and Michael B. Oren's Power, Faith, and Fantasy: America in the Middle East 1776 to the Present.

Right now, I'm reading God: A Biography by Jack Miles, and I'll probably start Sense and Sensibility as well. God's a bit of a slow read, but I've been wanting to read it for a while - even back when it first came out, I almost convinced myself to buy the hardcover a few times, but didn't. I don't know that I'll learn anything totally new, but I want to see what he has to say, since he's approaching the Bible as literature instead of talking theology or history.

I just finished Kinky Friedman's Meanwhile Back at the Ranch, and part way through realized I'd read it before at some point. I hate that. But I didn't remember who'd done it, so it was okay, I guess. I hate that even more - I'm only 32, I'm not supposed to have such a bad memory. Anyway, it was good for light reading, which is what I wanted - it's really my nonfiction that's piling up on the TBR shelves, I mostly keep up with the easier stuff.

Well, I think I'll go read for a bit now.

No comments:

Post a Comment