Monday, April 14, 2008

April 14, 2008

I just finished reading Alice Sebold's The Lovely Bones. I enjoyed it, although I can see how not everyone would. It's the story of the family and friends of a murder victim, told from the victim's point of view as she watches from heaven. The point of the story is how the family and even the victim ultimately learn to move past the crime.

At times while I was reading, the thought of the victim's rape and murder made me angry, especially when you realize the man who did it had other victims and continued to get away with the crimes. However, I think by the end of the book, it became clear that one message the author wanted readers to hear in this story was that you can't continue to focus all your energy on the criminal, you have to let go in order to live your life.

I would recommend this book, and to people worried about any graphic descriptions of the crime, there is really only a brief description, and it's not as graphic as I was afraid it would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment